FROM VILLAGE TO FACTORY 1682–2008
The history of settlement in Hiedanranta goes back to medieval times, when the village of Lielahti was situated here. A rustholli, a manor with the duty to maintain a cavalry soldier, was formed of the houses of the village in 1682.
Wilhelm von Nottbeck, the owner of Finlayson, bought the manor from his heirs in 1872 and made it his country- and summer house. The son of Wilhelm von Nottbeck, Wilhelm Fredrik von Nottbeck, transformed the estate in to an up-to-date model farm in the 1890s. The buildings in the area were renewed and a new mansionlike main building was built in 1893. It was surrounded by parks, gardens and buildings to accommodate the staff and workers. Also situated in its grounds was the Nottbeck family cemetery, which is the final resting place of ten members of the family. The Nottbeck family owned the manor until 1904.
The transformation into a factory community in Hiedanranta began in 1913, when the company J. W. Enqvist Oy bought the estate and established a sulfite cellulose factory there. In the 1930s it was sold in to French ownership and its expansion waned due to worldwide economic depression and war. In 1965 the company A. Serlachius Oy bought the factory to expand its own industrial production. In the 2000s M-Real became the new owner of the factory. Industrial production in the area was discontinued in 2008.
HISTORY OF BUILDNINGS IN THE AREA
It is regarded that the castlelike main building of Lielahti manor was completed in 1893. The style of the mansion has features of Romantic, Gothic and Renaissance Revival styles. The building has two floors, a basement, a high open attic and two towers. From the beginning of the factory era the building has been used as the apartment of the managing director of the factory, and, as nowadays, as an office.
Storehouse an Mangle Room
The two-storeyed building was apparently originally a storehouse for grain, but it was later used as a garage for horse-drawn carriages and automobiles. Even though the year 1874 appears in the pediment of the building, the year of its completion is not known.
The mangle room is a wooden single room building built in Renaissance Revival style. It was used as a mangle room until the 1950s, but it has also been used to store archive material, and thus dubbed the ”mangle archive”. The building has been well preserved and is apparently in its original state.
The cellar and shed
The cellar represents the same decorative style as the main building. It may have earlier been a part of a larger building. The cellar was renovated in the summer of 2016.
The shed is not a part of the original courtyard of the mansion. It was probably moved in the 1910–1930s to its current place from Killinkoski, where the company had a grinding mill. During the factory era it was used to store garden tools. The shed is mostly in its 1910–1930s state.
At the latest in the 1890s, when the Nottbeck family built the new main building, a garden was established in the northern, southern and western sides of the manor. For example a tennis court, greenhouses and an orchard were situated in the area. A villa situated near the shore and dating back to the late 1800s has been demolished. The vantage point of the garden is also from that era. In the shore there are remnants of a pier, which had a sauna or a bathing hut at its end.
The façade of this two-storied wooden house has features of Art Nouveau and Classicism. Its designer and year of completion are not known. The building has been an apartment building, and later the building became the office of the factory. It has been extended probably during the 1930–1950. Lastly the building housed the offices of the legal department of the factory and was used as training space, but it fell into disuse already during the factory era.
This wooden building have features of Classicism and Art Nouveau. There is uncertainty concerning the time of completion and its designer of the building. The building, previously possibly meant for the staff of the mansion was taken into use by the factory after 1913 and refurbished as an office. Later in the early 1910s the interior was changed into apartments for the clerks of the factory. Later on the building was changed into offices, which purpose it served in the end of the factory era.
Water treatment plant
The water treatment plant, built in 1929 and designed by Birger Federley was built, because purified water was needed in the bleaching of cellulose. Earlier the factory had used the pumping station in the shore. In 1936 an extension to the plant was built on the place of the greenhouses and tennis court of the mansion. The original interiors of the building, and the water treatment technology, have been preserved.
Electrical tool department
The building was completed in two phases: the north end was designed by Birger Federley in 1923 and the south end by M. Mikama in 1951. The façade of the building is in its 1950s state and the older part with the narrower frame is still discernible. In the building there were pipe, sheet metal and welding workshops, an electrical workshop, dressing rooms and facilities for cooking, and also an office.
Machine shop and carpenter’s shop
The building is situated on the location of the east–west wing of the old cow house, where the sulphite cellulose factory was started in 1913. In 1914 Birger Federley designed alterations, which situated a repair shop and and a workshop with a furnace there. Next, a two-storeyed workshop building designed by Federley in 1920 was built on the location. In the building there were a machine shop, a central storehouse, and a carpenter’s shop. The façade of the building has been mainly preserved, even though details have been removed.
Gatekeeper’s house, pumping station, and mole
The building has been told to have been the apartment of the gatekeeper of the Nottbeck manor, and was probably built around the same time as the main building, during the 1890s. The house was lastly used as an office but was left empty already during the factory era. The original decorations of its façade have been preserved.
The building is designed by Birger Federley and completed in 1914, it was one of the first new buildings of the factory era. The one-storeyed, brick-built pumping station fell into disuse already in the 1930s, when the factory started to get its water through a wooden pipe from near-by Jänislahti bay. After that the building ended up as a storehouse and apparently, during the 1970s, as facilities for workers and a maintenance building. Apart from its doors, it is in its original appearance.
The loading dock in the shore was called möljä, a commonly used Finnish version of mole, which means a specific kind of pier. Mole was used for deliveries of floated wood since the early years of the factory. At first the pier was made of wood, but changes and additional construction were made during the following decades. In the beginning of the 1920s at the latest, the rails of the factory railway were extended to the end of the mole. In the mid-1900s a crane for the floated wood was built at its end. The concrete pillars are remnants of this crane. The mole was disused after the log floating in lake Näsijärvi ended and the line of production of the factory was changed in the 1980s.
Production in the factory was stopped during the Finnish civil war of 1918, and the factory also suffered some damages due to artillery fire. After the war, production started again and the water tower designed by Birger Federley was built. The water tower was needed to supply water for the factory and the factory community, but it is said to have also serviced the near-by Niemi farm. The building is in its original state, all the way to the windows, the oaken door and its fittings. The water tank has also been preserved.